We bought an iRiver H10 MP3 player and downloaded many songs from Rhapsody-to-Go. After about a month, suddenly the songs will no longer play. The iRiver displays an error message:
“The music has expired or failed to get license”
Google searches reveal that this is a general problem with Rhapsody-To-Go, experienced by users with a wide variety of “supported” MP3 players. Unfortunately, while the problem appears widespread, a definitive solution doesn’t show up in the search results.
I found some promising advice on the CNET MP3 players forum. Here’s the exact procedure I followed:
- Close Rhapsody
- Turn off the iRiver H10
- Connect the iRiver to the computer’s USB port
- Turn on the iRiver
I have Windows set to not respond to the iRiver being connected, so no window popped up on the screen. The iRiver’s screen displays “USBConnected”.
- Start up Rhapsody
Rhapsody displayed the following list in the upper part of its left column:
- Rhapsody Music Guide
- My Library
- iRiver H10 20GC
- My Playlists
I clicked on the “iRiver H10 20GC” entry. Rhapsody initially displayed the unexpected message that the device was empty. But then it went into a song counting sequence, finally displaying a list of tracks that are on the iRiver, with a summary at the bottom of the page indicating that I’ve used 2.8 GB and have 624 tracks on the iRiver.
Did this mean that the license for all the songs on the iRiver has been renewed?
The CNET article said it is not necessary, and indeed not desirable, to click the “Sync” button. So, I didn’t. Instead, I clicked the “Eject” button on the upper right of the main Rhapsody window that was displaying the iRiver’s tracks. A Rhapsody information window popped up, saying:
You can now safely remove your device from your system. I unplugged the iRiver’s USB cable from the computer, and tried to play a song on the iRiver.It worked. The license was refreshed!
Recently I expanded our home network to accomodate the addition of a new computer and to provide a network port in the living room for online gaming using XBOX. The expansion required purchasing and installing a second 8-port Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Workgroup Switch, which is attached to the identical switch we’ve had for the past 18 months or so.
The computers and XBOX immediately attached to the reconfigured network, so I assumed everything was working fine with respect to the network. But when I tried to print to our HP Photosmart 2600 network printer, which I use for printing from our Linux machines, the print jobs did not print.
Since we have a printer connected to one of the Windows machines, I switched to using that printer whenever I absolutely had to print something, setting aside the Photosmart investigation until I had time for an investigation into Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) settings, etc., on the Linux computers.
Today, as I was rummaging through papers on my desk, I came across an old printout of the HP’s network configuration. That made me wonder: was it possible something had changed after I reconfigured the network? I had the Photosmart print out its current network configuration, and yes, there was a significant change: the printer’s IP address was different!
I reconfigured the Photosmart address on the Linux computers to the new correct address, and weeks-old print jobs started printing.
I have not tested the conditions that can cause a resetting of the printer’s IP address. For example, if there is a power outage and our entire set of hardware must be restarted from a powered-down state, it seems possible that a network printer could be assigned a different IP address depending on the order in which the various machines attached to the network come online. Something to watch out for, for us networking novices.
Print the printer’s network configuration page; check the newly assigned IP Address; make sure your computers are pointing to the correct IP Address for the networked printer
WordPress users who have customized or added plugins to versions prior to WordPress 1.5 may be surprised to find that Version 1.5 no longer has the file wp-comments.php in the main directory. This file is typically edited for any plugin relating to comment security, spam detection, and captcha installation.
WordPress Version 1.5 moves the content of this file into the themes directory beneath wp-content, in a file named comments.php. The changes you would have put into wp-comments.php must now be inserted into the appropriate location in wp-content/themes/mySelectedTheme/comments.php, where mySelectedTheme is the directory that contains the currently active WordPress theme.
This means that if you change to a different theme, you’ll have to copy your edits into the comments.php file in the directory for the new theme.
Welcome to eQuickFixes.com. This site presents “quick fix” solutions to snafus, “gotchas”, and other irritating problems involving programming, home computers, and various gadgets.